- The first phonecards appeared in Italy in 1976, in the UK in 1981 and in the USA as late as 1991.
- Phonecards are now available in more than 200 countries worldwide
- Unused phonecards tend to be the most valuable. However, one phonecard, found discarded in a Scottish payphone, was sold for £850.
- The most collectable phonecards are those which, like collectable stamps, feature interesting visuals. Commemorative phonecards are particularly popular.
- Phonecard collecting has been christened 'fusilately', from the nearest Latin word for plastic. In the US it's called Telegery.
- Last year BT sold 30 million phonecards.
- Around 1,800 different BT Phonecards have been produced.
- There are more than four million collectors worldwide. In Japan there are now more people collecting phonecards than stamps.
- The UK has an estimated 100,000 collectors.
- A 1983 standard issue Taiwanese edition is the world's most expensive phonecard. It recently sold in Japan for £28,000.
- Printing mistakes escalate the price of a card. One copy of an edition depicting a David Shepherd painting appeared without its border and signature. It has never been put up for sale and dealers say it is worth thousands of pounds.
- BT's first 10 unit Phonecards sold for £1 in 1981. Today an unused one sells for £150.
We currently do not have our charges listed online, but we are happy to quote you by phone. Please call us on 01440 709794 and we'll be happy to help.
Minimum Order Charge
We do have a minimum order charge of £50 (excluding delivery) for all hires. This is to cover the time involved in organising and dispatching a single small item. Sorry :-(
New clients are required to pay in advance by BACS or credit card. Repeat customers can open a credit account with us on 30 days terms.
Multiple Items & Job Lots
If you're looking to fit out an entire set and need many items, we are happy to quote a discounted rate based on the quantity of items.
The term dry hire means to hire an item without having a technician supplied to support it. Most of our small items are available to dry hire, but some of the more complicated equipment that require specialist knowledge are not. In these cases we will deliver the item(s) personally and set them up for you. Please call us for a quotation based on the hire period and location.